May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, may the rain fall soft upon your face. And until we meet again, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

we made it!

We finally made it to Dallas and are somewhat settled in our apartment. We don't have any of our things from NYC yet but we do have a few pieces of furniture from Shreveport and some boxes of things from my house in Zachary. It was so much fun unpacking!

For those of you who don't know me well, I RARELY give/throw/whatever things away. It's just too hard. Mom came down to Zachary before I moved to help me purge for my garage sale. She was the pits...everything I owned had a convincing story for us to keep it and we ended up with a 17 foot U-Haul loaded to Shreveport! I was glad to have the help and moral support though!!!

I have been so thankful for that these last few days. Imagine unwrapping stuff from a box and finding the most wonderful pictures of your family and friends, the Bloomingdale's box that held the gloves and my engagement ring Orie gave me in NYC, a cross your dear friend's mother held as he fought for his life, rocks from the French Riviera your sister gave you almost 10 years ago, a program from the presentation honoring your grandfather and the many Veterans of WWII....and the list goes on and on. I was on top of the world!

I recently read a book that was very hard to digest...it spoke of our possessions as only being just that...possessions...not really having any meaning in our lives to fulfill our purpose. I struggled with this while reading because my possessions mean everything to me and I don't feel guilty about it. Each one tells a story and reminds me of someone very special...picking one up or glancing at it on my shelf or table brings a smile to my face and takes me back to the time I received it. I love getting to have my "things" back in my home! Thanks Orie :)

We have spent these last few days hanging out with Kat, car shopping and getting our apartment "livable". We finally found a car that Orie loves and today did the Target run for some apartment goodies...what could be better? (well Wal-Mart of course but they don't have that!!!)

We're looking forward to many new adventures in the Big-D and are very appreciative of all our family and friends and your support. We know today more than ever the importance of family and we love you all very much!

1 comment:

Pink Slip Gourmet said...

Di -

So excited y'all are in Dallas. Can't wait to hang out once I'm back!